Friday, March 21, 2008

Maggots
March 20, 2008


A great first day of spring – sunny and mid-60s. But while last week in Louisiana we were in the midst of spring with butterflies, dragonflies and other cool stuff, today I resorted to maggot photos and a photo of henbit which should soon be turning parts of the landscape purple. (Take a look at Daniel Spurgeon's Nature at Close Range blog entry on henbit.)

We did experience my favorite part of spring – extremely loud spring peepers. As we rode our bikes past flooded woods at 2 pm, we heard mostly chorus frogs with a few peepers. The return ride at 5:15 pm was mostly peepers with a few chorus frogs. I like both, but really prefer to hear the peepers. Kind of weird that someone who admits (yes, I'm embarrassed) to being creeped out by frogs, lizards, skinks . . . . thinks listening to them is the best part of spring.

And switching to birds -- my first Eastern Phoebe in Missouri this year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, thanks for the link to my Henbit article. I laughed when I saw that you said that you took photos of maggots. I laughed because that is just the kind of thing that I would do! I recently took photos of American Coots and then wrote an article about them. Why- because I couldn't find any other cool looking water fowl that day- so the American Coot finally got some attention in the blogosphere! :) By the way, I have moved to North Alabama. There is a Birding Trail up here setup for bird watchers at various wetlands in the area- so I started a journal to record the birds seen and photographed at these sites. The blog site is http://northalabamabirdingtrail.blogspot.com The header photo for that site was one of those rare moments when the photo seems like it was from another place- surely not a record of the shutter click that I made. The photo has been sharpened- and levels adjusted- but not photoshopped in any way- even though it looks like it has. I appreciate having a fellow insect enthusiast and photographer out here in the blogosphere! :)